So Zach Palm over at http://zackpalmwritingenthusiast.wordpress.com/ chose me as one of his picks for his “The Next Big Thing”. Much thanks go out to him. I haven’t been too involved of a reader on his blog, but I may decide to change that as he seems like a pretty cool guy. Anyway, instead of my usual rambling that will explain to you exactly what “The Next Big Thing” really is, why I don’t I just tell you it’s for writers and get right into the questions. This is really all the information you need, as the purpose of “The Next Big Thing” should become apparent when you read the questions. That’s me assuming you WILL read the questions – and my answers – and you better, if you know what’s good for you.
1) What is the working title of your next book?
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
-I wanted to write a Fantasy novel called Band Of Thieves about a group of medieval thieves, criminals, etc. Then I thought…no that’s been done before in several books but in A LOT of video games, too. So, I thought about putting it in a Science Fiction setting, and it works quite well.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
-Science Fiction. See response for Question #2 and stop asking me questions I’ve already answered.
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
– John Cho (Sin), Cate Blanchett (Brill), Rebecca Romijan-Stamos (Kora), Sean Bean (unnamed villain). There are some more characters, some not written in yet, but I can see them portrayed by people like Billy Boyd, Halle Berry, Summer Glau, Jay Baruchel.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
-Hoping to be represented. Haven’t finished the novel.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
-Um…it’s more of like a regular fiction drama with some action in a Star Wars type setting.
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
-I wanted to show a grittier side of Sci-Fi that we don’t often see. Slightly inspired by Star Trek’s Mirror Universe, but mostly self-inspired as I wanted to explore the darker, more realistic side to things.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
-It’s about a ‘group of outlaws’, so to speak, who band together and, while their actions are not entirely legal at times, they vow to take down one of the largest criminal organizations in the galaxy. This all sounds really lame now that I’ve written it…
Well this was fun…so why wouldn’t I pass this on to five more authors that I know, right?
Please check out these blogs, all belonging to promising writers. There’s a pretty wide range of genres between the five of them. You can find some humour and a lot of sense on Doug’s blog, some personally-fueled writing on Colson’s, down to earth/rational critiques, comments and observations on Cindy’s, just the right mix of humour, rationality, irrationality and cynicism that I love on Jay’s and spectacularly crafted fiction that makes you think on Seyi’s.
I look forward to reading about your next big thing. Thanks everyone!
- The Next Big Thing – Mind Your Goddess (flossiebentonrogers.com)
- 2012 Year in Reading (jameswharris.wordpress.com)
- Why Do I Read Science Fiction? (jameswharris.wordpress.com)
- The 4 reasons my favorite novel is… (gilshalev.com)